You have seen lots of people driving electric scooters around the world. Maybe you have bought it and want to ride an electric scooter in the street but unsure if it’s legal or not to ride electric scooters. Electric scooters are hell lot of fun to ride, but not every country allows riding electric scooters. It is understandable to have a question like, “Are electric scooters legal?” “Can i ride it in my country without having any problem?” and lots of other questions regarding the legality of electric scooters, and that is why we have come up with this blog. And today, in this blog, we will give you all the necessary information to answer your questions.
- 1 Are electric scooters legal?
- 1.1 Are electric scooters legal in the UK?
- 1.2 What are the laws in Florida regarding electric scooters?
- 1.3 Are electric scooters legal in New york?
- 1.4 Electric scooter laws in California
- 1.5 Electric scooter laws Oregon
- 1.6 Are electric scooters legal in Toronto?
- 1.7 Requirements to ride e-scooters in Toronto
- 1.8 Laws for electric scooters in Ontario?
- 1.9 Are electric scooters legal in Boston?
- 1.10 Are electric scooters legal in Chicago?
- 1.11 Laws for electric scooters in New jersey?
- 1.12 Are electric scooters legal in Germany?
- 1.13 Are electric scooters legal in Australia?
- 1.14 Are electric scooters legal in New South Wales?
- 2 Conclusion
Are electric scooters legal?
Yes and No. The reason why I am saying this is unlike motorcycles, electric scooters are not legal in all countries, and it differs from country to county and states to states. In some countries, you should not have any problem riding electric scooters while strictly prohibited in other countries, so let me talk about specific countries’ rules.
Are electric scooters legal in the UK?
First, let us begin with the rules of the UK regarding the legality of electric scooters. Until July 4, it was illegal to ride electric scooters in the streets, but now you are allowed to ride an electric scooter but with strict rules and lots of limitations. The good part is now you will be able to ride an electric scooter in the UK legally, but the sad part is you can’t ride a private electric scooter. That means that you will not be able to ride an electric scooter owned by yourself in any public places, and if you find it, you need to pay a significant amount of fine. Yes, up to £350. So the only way you can ride an electric scooter legally in the UK is by renting. According to the UK government, the reason behind doing this is to understand the impact of using electric scooters. For example, the safety of people and understanding the potential benefit of using E-scooters. So it is legal to drive e-Scooters in the UK but with the limitations said above.
What are the laws in Florida regarding electric scooters?
In 2019, Florida finally legalized the use of electric scooters in the streets. As soon as the law came into effect, many companies like lime made electric scooters available for rent, and thousands of people started using it.
You don’t have to have any license to use an electric scooter in Florida, but of course, there are specific rules and regulations you need to follow. You cannot ride an electric scooter on sidewalks. In Tampa, you need to be at least 16 yrs old to ride an electric scooter. Though helmets are not mandatory to use, it is recommended to use it as accidents can happen in e-scooters.
Note: Regarding the 3 wheel electric scooters, Florida had not made quite the clear rules, so it is recommended to contact the necessary departments regarding three-wheel electric scooters’ legality.
Are electric scooters legal in New york?
Yes, the electric scooter is finally legal in New York, and you can ride it on the streets. The law passed on August 2, 2020, which allows you to ride in on some new york streets and highways. But as with other states and countries, you need to follow specific rules and regulations. And they are:
- You cannot ride in the speed of more than 30 miles per hour(48km/h)
- Municipalities are obliged to regulate these devices’ time and place, so you need to pay fines if you break the rules.
- You are not allowed to ride in sidelines unless authorized by the local law.
Electric scooter laws in California
The electric scooter is legal in California if you don’t break any California government’s rules and regulations. You are allowed to ride electric scooters in class ii and iv paths legally. This path is where you can find bike riding. But when you are riding an e-scooter in these paths, the speed limit should not be more than 25 miles per hour(50km/h).
The latest California law does not require you to wear a helmet if you are 18 and older. If you break any law, for example, not wearing a helmet bike. You need to pay a fine of up to $200 if you break any law, such as not wearing a helmet bike.
Electric scooter laws Oregon
Like in other states, the electric scooter is legal to ride, but you need to follow the Oregon government’s rules and regulations.
- You cannot walk on sidewalks in Oregon unless you try to get across the roadway from an adjoining property.
- The maximum speed in which you can ride is 16mph(24km/h)
- People under the age of 16yrs old should wear a helmet.
Are electric scooters legal in Toronto?
In January 2020 Toronto government finally made the use of electric scooter legal. You need to follow specific guidelines by the Ontario government if you want to ride an e-scooters. But even though the Ontario government sets a law, it is entirely dependable on a municipality.
Requirements to ride e-scooters in Toronto
- The maximum speed should not exceed 25km/h, and motor capacity should not exceed 500w.
- The weight of the e-scooter should not be more than 45 kg and a minimum diameter of 17 inches.
- E-scooter should have a horn/bell and lights. Also, seats are not permitted in e-scooters.
- You need to be at least 16 years old to ride e-scooters in Toronto. And the helmet is compulsory if you are under 18 yrs old.
- You are not allowed to put any passengers in e-scooters. Many people get fined over this small mistake. Therefore, it’s good to remember this rule while riding an e-scooter in Toronto.
Laws for electric scooters in Ontario?
In January 2020, the Ontario government made it legal to ride electric scooters. They are testing the use of an e-scooter for five years to test its efficiency. Even though we recommend you contact local municipalities regarding the rules to use an electric scooter in Ontario as they are the ones who modify the rule. But here are some basic rules you may need to follow in Ontario while riding an e-scooters.
- You should not exceed the speed of more than 24km/h, and the motor capacity should not be more than 500W.
- The maximum weight limit is 45 kg.
- You need to wear a helmet if you are under 18 and be at least 16 yrs old to ride e-scooter
- Also, make sure your electric scooter has a light and a horn/bell.
Are electric scooters legal in Boston?
It is legal to ride an electric scooter in most Boston centers, but it is recommended to check the local government rules as some may restrict e-scooters. But in most parts of Boston, you should not be having any problems riding e-scooters, but of course, just like in other places and countries, you need to follow the government’s guidelines. But still, in some areas in Boston, electric scooters are illegal, so make sure to contact the local government for proper information regarding e-scooters
Are electric scooters legal in Chicago?
Chicago’s new rules let people ride electric scooters, so it is legal to ride e-scooters in Chicago. You can see 1000s of people roaming around Chicago in e-scooters, but not many people know the rules and have been given fines. Therefore, it is good to know the rules before you ride an e-scooters.
- You are not allowed to ride an electric scooter on sidewalks and 606.
- Only one person can ride an electric scooter.
- You need to be at least 18 yrs older to drive e-scooters. 16 and 17 yrs age people need their guardian consent to ride it.
- Make sure to park in the proper area as not doing so may create you unnecessary problems.
Laws for electric scooters in New jersey?
Since May 2019, the electric scooter has been legal in New Jersey, and you shouldn’t have any problem riding it by following proper guidelines. You should not ride an electric scooter with more than 30km/h(19mph). If you are under 17, it is compulsory to wear a helmet. And make sure not to block the pedestrian traffic while parking an e-scooter.
With this new law in new jersey, you will also be able to buy an electric scooter for personal use as some of the states only allow the e-scooters for only rental service.
Are electric scooters legal in Germany?
In many European countries, e-scooters are legal to ride, and luckily Germany is one of them. If you are buying an electric scooter in Germany, then it is mandatory to have insurance. If you don’t have insurance, you are not allowed to ride it on public roads. Also, regarding speed, Germany has stringent rules. You can only ride it with a maximum speed of 20km/h( 12.4 mph). Also, you cannot ride e-scooters in the autobahn and pedestrian streets.
If you are riding electric scooters in Germany, the good news for you is that you will not need a license, plus you can take e-scooters in almost all public transportation. But the bad news is if you break the rules, the fine may go up to 30€- 180€ depending on the type of rules you break.
Are electric scooters legal in Australia?
Electric scooter law varies from state to state in Australia. In most states, electric scooters are legal to ride, while some states are illegal to ride e-scooters yet. Therefore, it is better to check Australia’s state and territories’ rules and regulations regarding electric scooters’ legality.
Are electric scooters legal in New South Wales?
Unfortunately, it is not yet legal to drive e-scooters in NSW, and they have stringent rules regarding electric scooters, so you shouldn’t ride it illegally. The fine may go up to $2500 if you are found riding e-scooters in public areas. Many states have legalized the use of electric scooters, so it may be possible that NSW will legalize e-scooters as well shortly.
Many countries and states have legalized the use of electric scooters, but there are still many countries that haven’t yet legalized the e-scooters. Therefore before riding e-scooters in any country or cities make sure to know the specific rules of that place to forbid unnecessary problems and fines.