Electric scooters are fun to ride as well as easy to ride compared to standard scooters. It doesn’t need petrol, and most of the electric scooters can be taken in public transportation. Maybe you are planning to buy an electric scooter but unsure if you need to get a license to ride an electric scooter. Today in this blog, we will go through rules and regulations regarding electric scooters. We will also talk about the different electric scooter types that require a license and talk about electric scooters that don’t need a license.
- 1 Do you need a license for an electric scooter?
- 1.1 Use of electric scooters in Europe
- 1.2 Do you need a license to drive an electric scooter in Ontario?
- 1.3 Do you need a license for an electric scooter in New York?
- 1.4 Do you need a license for an electric scooter in California?
- 1.5 Some rules to follow if you are going to ride an e-scooter in California
- 1.6 You are riding electric scooters in the UK. Do you need a license?
- 1.7 Things to remember
- 1.8 Conclusion
Do you need a license for an electric scooter?
Usually, the rules vary according to different countries, and the same models may not require a license in one state. At the same time, it may be mandatory to get a license in another country. So let us also talk about the need for a permit according to countries and states.
Use of electric scooters in Europe
Most European countries have allowed electric scooters, and thousands of them are roaming inroads. Also, you don’t need a license to use, so many people are buying an electric scooter. European countries are dealing with scooters in diverse ways. More than 20000 electric scooters are traveling in the streets of Paris and France. In most European countries, the maximum speed is set for 25km/h, and you could be given a hefty fine if rules are broken.
Also, follow the safety rules while riding an electric scooter in European countries as they have strict rules regarding it. And check the regulations regarding age as it differs from country to country.
Do you need a license to drive an electric scooter in Ontario?
Many people in Ontario started riding the electric scooter as it is comfortable and environment friendly. Still, most people don’t know if they need a license or not to drive an electric scooter in Ontario.
According to new rules set by Ontario, electric scooters will be permitted on roads. But there are some rules which you need to follow.
- You cannot exceed the maximum speed of 25km/h
- You must wear a helmet and have a horn or bell
- Riders need to be at a minimum of 16 years old, and electric scooters shouldn’t weigh more than 45 kilograms.
- You cannot ride electric scooters on controlled-access highways or highways prohibited for pedestrians and bicyclists.
- The wheel diameter should not be more than 17 inches.
For more information regarding e-scooters’ rules and regulations in Ontario, you can go to this page.
Do you need a license for an electric scooter in New York?
While it was not allowed to ride an electric scooter in new york
city without a license but now new york has passed a law where you will be able to ride e-scooters in certain conditions.
- You need to be at least 16 years old.
- You need to wear a helmet if you are under 18. It is not optional.
- The maximum speed limit is around 25 km/h(15 miles per hour), and you are not allowed to ride on sidewalks.
But this is just a standard rule for new york, and it may differ from cities and municipalities as they may set their own rules.
Do you need a license for an electric scooter in California?
As stated in California’s Vehicle Code, it’s essential to have a driver’s license to ride an e-scooter. Any class driver’s license is ok to drive an e-scooter, as long as it is legal.
Some rules to follow if you are going to ride an e-scooter in California
- The helmet is mandatory for people under 18 yrs old. You don’t have to wear a helmet if you are over 18, but we recommend you to wear it for your safety.
- Do not exceed more than 15 miles/h. Over speed can result in a traffic stop and a fine up to $250.
- You need to ride an e-scooter only on bike lanes.
- An E-scooter has the same rules as a motor vehicle. Therefore riding while you are drunk will result in a fine up to $350.
You are riding electric scooters in the UK. Do you need a license?
In many countries riding electric scooters will not be that problem and does not have strict rules. An electric scooter was allowed in the UK just some months ago, and now you can finally ride it. But we are a little disappointed as of now, you cannot ride your private electric scooter, and it should be a rental electric scooter. But do you need to have a license to ride electric scooters in the UK? According to the latest rules, you don’t need a license to ride an electric scooter if you follow the UK government’s rules and regulations.
Things to remember
If you own the electric scooter, do not neglect any rules and read the rules correctly. Doing this will save you from paying fines, which goes up to $500, depending on the country.
In most countries and states, you don’t need a license to ride an electric scooter, but almost all countries have their regulations that should be strictly followed by people to ensure everyone’s safety. And in many countries, the use of electric scooters is in a trial mode that means the government may ban the use of electric scooters or require you to get a license in the future. If there will be any update in the future regarding electric scooters, we will let you know, so keep reading our blogs to understand more about electric scooters. And ride safe.