Increasing traffic jams, high gasoline prices, and rising living standards have forced many people to reconsider using electric scooters for their daily commute. The scooter allows you to get to your office fast while you enjoy the cool breeze during rides. But, for them to be ideal for commuting the scooter has to be easily foldable. In this case, we will help with our “best foldable electric scooter” guide.
The electric scooter market has changed a great deal from the days of kick-start scooters. Today, you have faster and more efficient scooters that are capable of hitting more than 30 mph. While most scooters are foldable, how this is done and the eventual size of the scooter varies. In this guide, we check out some of the best foldable electric scooters in the market.
- 1 Compare the Best Foldable Electric Scooters
- 1.1 RAZOR – E PRIME III
- 1.2 APOLLO LIGHTS
- 1.3 Gotrax GXL Commuting scooter – Most affordable
- 1.4 Glion Dolly – Innovative pull out trolley handle
- 1.5 Speedway Mini 4 Pro – Great range and speed
- 1.6 Mercane Widewheel – Widest scooter tires
- 1.7 JETSON ELEMENT
- 1.8 HOVER 1- ENGINE
- 1.9 MEGA WHEELS – S11X
- 1.10 SEGWAY – ES1L
- 1.11 Swagtron Swagger 5 – Best Bluetooth connectivity
- 2 Oerall Best Foldable Electric Scooter
- 3 Fastest Foldable Electric Scooter
- 4 Best Long Range Foldable Scooter:
- 5 Buying Guide for the Best Foldable Electric Scooter
- 6 Benefits of Owning a Folding Scooter
- 7 Advantages of Foldable Electric Scooter
- 8 CONCLUSION
Compare the Best Foldable Electric Scooters
Check on Amazon
RAZOR - E PRIME III
SPEEDWAY MINI 4 Pro
MERCANE Widewheel PRO
HOVER 1- ENGINE
MEGA WHEELS - S11X
SEGWAY - ES1L
SWAGTRON SWAGGER 5
Razor E Prime III proffers a unique, innovative folding experience. Razor E Prime III features a 250-watt motor to boost around 18 mph (29 km/h). Moreover, this ultra-portable scooter has a 35V 5200mAh lithium-ion battery, which can last for 15 miles (24 km) conveniently when fully charged.
Since these scooters are portable, they are light in weight, weighing around 24.2 lbs (11kg). Razor E Prime III offers a unique experience in commuting with a compact folding mechanism. The Razor E Prime III features front pneumatic tires while the back proffers a reliable rubber tire.
Moreover, these pneumatic tires bolstered by ultra-responsive brakes propose durable, long-lasting performance. Razor E Prime III maintains a perfect balance between weight, power, and portability to offer unique and fuss-free commuting.
- Security locks to ensure safety
- Portable and foldable
- Superior quality
- An 8-inch front pneumatic tire
- The battery dies before the provided range.
- Expensive, cheaper alternatives available.
Apollo light redefines portability and raw power. Apollo light, without a doubt, is the best foldable electric scooter. Apollo light proffers a single 48V 350W BLDC motor, which ensures a robust performance. This Apollo’s best foldable electric scooter can achieve a top speed of around 22 MPH (35 KM/H).
Apollo light proffers 8.5 inches front pneumatic tires and 8 inches solid, reliable rear tire bolstered by rear drum braking. Nevertheless, dual spring suspension ensures safe and convenient commuting even on irregular terrains.
Apollo light features a 48V 10.2aH rechargeable battery, which provides a mileage of around 22 miles (35 KM). Apollo light is portable enough to be carried around in buses or trains. Moreover, Apollo light proffers a 3-second folding mechanism.
- First-ever scooter with perfect power and portability combination
- 5 inches front pneumatic and solid rubber 8 inches rear tires
- Lightweight having 37 LB (17 KG)
- It can bear 220 LBS (100 KG) of rider weight
- Dual suspension system
- Tremendous top speed of around 22 MPH (35 KM/H).
- Handlebars are loose
Gotrax GXL Commuting scooter – Most affordable
This scooter combines a simple, sleek design that stands out when riding it. In fact, if you are not careful you may confuse it for a toy, but the Gotrax GXL is a premium scooter that comes with a powerful 250 Watt motor that is able to deliver a top speed of 15.5 mph
The Gotrax GXL comes with a dual braking system which is an awesome addition for a scooter for its price range. You can control the rear disc brakes through a foot pedal. In addition, you can also bring the scooter to a halt through an electric regenerative anti-lock system.
To enable your cruise the streets with ease, the scooter comes with 8.5” air-filled tires. These tires will absorb shock and offer a very smooth ride. On the downside, air-filled tires like those in cars are subject to punctures and deflation. The handlebar has a display where you can view scooter speed and battery life. The Gotrax headlights come in handy when you are driving at night.
The Gotrax is IP54 water-resistant meaning you do not need to worry about getting caught in the rain after a hard day of work. When compared with similar scooters with similar features, this scooter is affordable.
- Great scooter design makes it appear sleek
- 8.5 air-filled tires for smooth rides
- Bright headlights for riding in the dark
- Easy to fold and pack
- Not that fast
Glion Dolly – Innovative pull out trolley handle
It is hard to mention the word electric scooter without mentioning Glion. The company is known for producing high-quality scooters that are durable and loaded with cool features. This model easily folds in a few simple steps. It also comes with an innovative pull-out trolley handle. This enables you to drag the scooter around.
The Glion Dolly scooter is recommended for persons of all ages. The body frame is made from a durable 6061-T6 aircraft grade aluminum sturdy frame that is coated with a special corrosion resistant powder that ensures it still looks new several years to come.
Power to the scooter is through a 36V lithium battery 7.8A that gives you 60 to 70 minutes of ride time at a top speed of 15 mph. Charging time is a modest 3.5 hours. Lastly, you do not need to worry much about deflating your tires as the Glion comes with flat air-free thick tires.
- Pull out trolley handle for easy carrying
- Longer ride time
- Bright headlight with reflectors
- Folds very easily
- Lack of a proper suspension system
Speedway Mini 4 Pro – Great range and speed
A reputable company called Minimotors backs the scooter production. This means consumers are guaranteed a high-quality product that is meant to last for long. This scooter comes with a simplistic design that makes it easy to fold after commuting. It is suitable for students and those looking for an alternative to gasoline.
A 500W hub motor that is well able to push the scooter to speeds of over 25mph. peak powers the Speedway Mini Pro. This gives it a peak power of 1360W. If you check the advertised material for the Speedway Mini Pro you note that the top speed is 28mph. This speed can only be achieved for lightweight riders.
While the Speedway Mini Pro may look like a toy it can hold on to a weight of up to 260lbs. The deck is large enough to accommodate large people. For longer rides, the scooter comes with a detachable seat. Charging time is modest at 5 hours. This gives it a range of 30 miles.
- Can accommodate large persons
- High top speed
- Simple and ergonomic design
- Charging time is long
Mercane Widewheel – Widest scooter tires
You have probably not heard of this brand of scooters and this is because Mercane, a company based in South Korea, produces them. However, this does not mean you are going to have challenges with quality. The scooter is well able to compete with other top brands in the market.
The Mercane Widewheel gets its power from a 500W BLDC hub motor that is capable of generating a top speed of 15 mph and with a range of 20 miles before the next charge. The scooter’s powerful motor allows it to make steep ascends and cruise on flat surfaces with ease. If this is not enough, you can get a more powerful motor that is capable of generating 634W of power, and with a range of 30miles.
The Mercane gets its name Widewheel due to its wide tires that measure 3.9 inches. This is way larger than other scooters in the market and offers great stability when cruising at high speeds. With the wide tires, you do not even need a kick start to hold it in position as it stands on its own. To help you absorb vibrations during rides, the tires are made from polyurethane form and are covered with rubber. Due to the smallness of the tires at 8” this is not an ideal scooter for cruising through potholes. It also comes with dual suspension to enhance your ride in uneven terrain.
The scooter comes with a locking mechanism that is located on the handlebar. This makes it hard to unfold for some people. But, when folded it does become compact and occupies a small space. The LED display is a bit of a disappointment as it only indicates battery life. You won’t get information like driving mode, speed or distance covered.
- Wide wheels for extra stability
- Dual suspension
- Large range of up to 30 miles
- High luminance LED headlight
- The folding mechanism is a bit complicated
Jetson element features 250-Watt Hub Motor. This scooter tends to provide a top speed of around 15 mph (24.1 kph). Moreover, the Jetson element proffers a rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which can provide 10 miles.
However, mileage and speed may vary depending upon the rider’s weight and battery charging status. The Jetson element has three-speed modes. Jetson element aerodynamic frame made from aluminum, which ensures lightweight and portability. This scooter ensures a flawless combination of lightweight and easy folding mechanism to provide easy and convenient commuting.
Being portable Jetson element electric scooter proffers a weight of around 18.74 lbs (8.50 kg). However, it can handle a rider having a maximum weight of 220 lb (100 kg).
- Adjustable handlebar which suites rider of any height
- A powerful 250-watt motor
- Lightweight and portable
- Responsive e-braking
- Integrated LED display
- Bright LED lighting makes it flexible for night riding.
- Lesser mileage
Hover 1-Engine having portability and lightweight, is considered the best foldable electric scooter. Hover 1- Engine uses a power brushless 350-watt motor to generate power. Hover 1-Engine can deliver a top speed of around 16 mph (25.74 kph). Moreover, it features a powerful rechargeable battery, which ensures a mileage of approximately 11 miles (17.7 km) when fully charged. The Hover-1 Engine is exceptionally portable, having a unique folding mechanism.
Moreover, its folding mechanism is bolstered by weight of around 27 LB (12.25 kg). The Hover-1 Engine can bear a maximum load of 220 lb (100 kg). Hover-1 Engine features 10 inches front and 10.5 inches rear tire, which provides ease and comfort even on irregular terrains.
- Decent mileage of around 11 miles (17.7 km)
- Extremely light weighted
- Portable to carry around
- 5 inches rear and 10 inches front tires
- Proffers rear brake lights
- The sound, responsive braking system
- Difficulty in sharp turns
- Can’t climb steep slopes
The S11x can be folded and unfolded conveniently, which makes it the best foldable electric scooter. Moreover, its immense folding capacity backed by a powerful 350-watt motor delivers robust performance. Megawheel’s best foldable electric scooter tends to attain a top speed of around 15.5 mph (25 kph).
Moreover, it features a powerful 7.5 Ah battery, which ensures long mileage. This scooter, when fully charged, can offer 16 miles conveniently. This scooter is extremely portable and can be carried out in buses and trains conveniently.
However, it proffers a weight of around 27 lbs (12.3 kg). The high-quality performance and portability of this scooter are bolstered by 8.5 inches inflatable tires. These tires make this scooter feasible even for off-road commuting.
- 5 inches durable and inflatable tires
- Massive mileage and battery
- Enormous top speed
- Lightweight and efficient folding mechanism
- Three-speed modes available for safe commuting
The featherweight Segway ES1L is the ideal candidate for the best foldable electric scooter. Segway ES1L is highly durable and features aerospace-grade aluminum alloy, which is three times lesser in weight than steel.
Aluminum alloy offers Segway ES1L a featherweight of around 24.3lbs (11kg). This scooter is quite portable for one to carry even on trains, buses, or any other commutes. Moreover, the ultra-strength of this scooter ensures 220lbs (100kg) load-bearing capacity.
Segway’s best portable scooter proffers an enormous brushless 500-watt motor, guaranteeing a max speed of around 12.4 mph (20 kph). The high-quality rechargeable battery of Segway ES1L provides a mileage of 12.4 miles (20 km)
- One-step folding mechanism
- Front shock absorbers
- A 500-watt brushless motor that can climb 7% grade hill
- 5-watt bright headlights
- Weak electric brakes
Swagtron Swagger 5 – Best Bluetooth connectivity
This 27.5 lbs. easily folds so that you can store it beneath subway seats, in your car trunk, or some small space in the office. One folded it is easy to carry around due to its lightweight design. Besides, being extremely portable the Swagtron also comes with a powerful 250W electric hub motor that enables it to ride at speeds of 15 to 18 mph. It also can handle steep hills of up to 20 degrees.
The aluminum frame is sturdy enough to handle weights while not been heavy enough to carry. An LED screen displays your battery level, current speed, Bluetooth status, and headlight function. You can use the Swagtron for 11 miles before the next charge. New additions to the scooter include Android and iOS connectivity. This allows you to pair your smartphone with the scooter and plan your route through GPS or activate cruise control.
The battery can be charged in 3.5 hours and this enables you to handle 6 to 12 miles depending on the speed. The sturdy aluminum frame can support riders weighing up to 320 pounds. The tires are pressure inflated so you need to keep a constant eye on them to avoid punctures.
- Easily foldable and portable
- Modest speed of up to 18 mph
- Bluetooth connectivity
- LED display for speed and battery life
- Pressure tires are subject to deflation
Oerall Best Foldable Electric Scooter
RAZOR – E PRIME III
RAZOR – E PRIME III is our pick for the overall best folding electric scooter because
- RAZOR E PRIME III proffers a decent folding mechanism and is too light in weight, around 24.2 lb (11 kg).
- RAZOR E PRIME III is one of the powerful and fastest scooters in this category.
- RAZOR E PRIME III is highly durable and ensures a long-lasting battery.
Despite being a bit heavy among our listed scooters, Apollo lights still are the overall best foldable electric scooter.
- Apollo light being 37 lbs (16.8 kg), is a bit heavy scooter compared to our list but is still very portable.
- Apollo light is the only electric scooter to proffer raw power along with extreme portability.
- Apollo proffers a top speed of 22 mph (35.4 kph) and total mileage of 22 miles (35.4 km) per charge.
Fastest Foldable Electric Scooter
The all-around best Apollo light is, without a doubt, the best foldable electric scooter. Moreover, it is one of the fastest yet most portable electric scooters.
- Apollo lights feature an enormous 48V 350W BLDC motor, which boosts the scooter to a top speed of around 22 mph (35.4 kph)
- Apollo lights being the fastest foldable scooter, proffer an imminent responsive braking system to ensure safety and stability.
RAZOR – E PRIME III
RAZOR – E PRIME III being the overall best, is also the second-fastest scooter on our list.
- RAZOR E PRIME III proffers a 250-watt motor, which bolsters the speed to a maximum of 18 mph (28.9 kph).
- Moreover, RAZOR – E PRIME III features a 35V 5200mAh lithium-ion battery to ensure 15 miles when it’s fully charged.
HOVER 1- ENGINE
Hover 1- Engine is the third-fastest scooter in our list. It features 27 lbs (12.25 kg) overall weight Hover 1-Engine featherweight scooter proffers tremendous power to provide cruise control commuting.
- This foldable electric scooter features an enormous powered motor to boost the top speed of around 16 mph (25.7 kph)
- Apart from having immense speed, it proffers a decent rechargeable battery to provide 11 miles (17.7 km) per charge.
- Hover 1 being light in weight aids this scooter a lot in enhancing the speed.
Best Long Range Foldable Scooter:
Apollo light being the overall best and fastest, is also the long-range best foldable electric scooter. Apollo light uses a 48V 10.2aH rechargeable battery to provide 22 miles (35.4 km) when fully charged. However, the range can differ slightly depending on the load and battery condition.
Moreover, Apollo light proffers dual spring suspension backed by pneumatic tires to provide easiness and comfort even for irregular trains or longer commuting.
MEGA WHEELS – S11X
Mega wheels-S11x is the second long-range best foldable scooter on our list. Without a doubt, this electric scooter maintains adequate standards of quality and performance. Mega wheels-S11x proffers a powerful 7.5 Ah battery, which tends to last for 18.5 miles when fully charged.
Moreover, this scooter proffers other enticing features like three-speed modes, inflatable tires, and an efficient folding mechanism, making this scooter worth buying.
RAZOR – E PRIME III
Just like Apollo lights, RAZOR – E PRIME III having outstanding all-around features makes in all the three best categories. RAZOR E PRIME III uses a 35V 5200mAh lithium-ion battery to boost mileage of around 15 miles (24.13 km).
Long-range and mileage require a decently comfortable ride. RAZOR – E PRIME III features shock absorbers, pneumatic tires, and fast, responsive brakes to ensure a safe and healthy commute.
Buying Guide for the Best Foldable Electric Scooter
Purchasing a foldable electric scooter is not that straightforward. The fact that it is easy to fold should be looked at with other factors in determining the ideal choice. Electric scooters are powered by electric motors that enable them to run for miles before the next charge. With increased traffic jams more commuters are opting for foldable electric scooters to get to and from work.
Suppose you are searching or planning to invest in an electric folding scooter. In that case, it is mandatory to look and access your needs first. None of us would want to buy a scooter that isn’t portable or feasible to carry. Therefore listed below are some factors you should consider before buying one for yourself.
- FEATHERWEIGHT– Checking the weight of the scooter is necessary when selecting a scooter focusing on portability. Make sure the scooter you are choosing features aerospace-grade aluminum alloy instead of steel. Aluminum alloy is three times lesser in weight than steel. Therefore scooters with aluminum alloy are usually featherweight.
- PORTABILITY- Make sure the scooter you are choosing maintains a perfect balance between weight and compactness. It should be small and lightweight enough to carry around. At the same time, you continue your journey on foot or other transportation means.
- FOLDING MECHANISM- Most of the folding electric scooter proffers one step handlebar folding mechanism. Make sure the scooter you choose features a decent and easy folding mechanism and can provide maximum compactness.
- TIRES- Usually, there are two types of tires available for folding electric scooter: pneumatic tires and airless tires. However, it is preferred to choose a scooter with pneumatic tires. They are more durable and can survive conveniently in robust conditions, unlike airless tires. However, pneumatic tires require frequent maintenance as they can get punctured, unlike airless tires.
Other Factors to consider when purchasing a foldable electric scooter:
The range is the distance your electric scooter will run before it needs its next charge. One of the things you need to ask yourself is what are you going to be using your scooter for. Are you commuting to and from college or the office? A larger battery implies a heavier scooter. This makes it bulky to carry around with you. The range for most foldable electric scooters is around 30 miles. This is enough to get you to and from the office.
Once you have the right battery you next have to consider the charging time. If you are going to be using your scooter on a daily basis then go for average charging times of less than 5 hours. Advertisers will issue a certain range with their scooters but understand that range is affected by factors like speed, terrain, and battery power.
When electric scooters have introduced the speeds were limited to around 10 to 15 mph. Today, you have scooters that can hit speeds of 40 mph. The surface you are riding in will determine the kind of speed you ride your scooter in. Flat terrain allows you to hit top speed. If you are looking for something to navigate city traffic then an average speed of 15 mph is ideal.
Electric scooter power is delivered through an electric motor. Most scooters have an average output of 250W but you will find some really powerful ones hitting over 2000W. Power can either be supplied by dual motors or single. You can also alternate between driving modes with the turbo giving you maximum power while economy allowing you to drive at low speeds but still efficiently using power.
Your general comfort when riding the scooter will also be determined by the kind of wheels you get. Wheels are the first point of contact between your scooter and the ground. They offer traction and enable you to handle tough terrain with ease. Wheels are categorized into air-filled ones and solid ones. The air-filled ones are great for absorbing shocks from bumps and rough terrain but they are subject to deflation and punctures just like those in cars. The solid wheels do not require air but since you do not have air to absorb the vibrations they can lead to bumpy rides. They are zero maintenance and this makes them long-lasting.
Scooters also have suspension. If you are handling some tough roads and do not have air-filled tires then the right suspension will make all the difference. Manufacturers will fix the suspension in either one tire or both.
If you are looking for the best foldable electric scooter then the weight is a major factor. The frame will sturdy enough to handle large weights should also be lightweight enough to carry around the office or to college. The average weight for a scooter is around 25 pounds but you will find some heavy-duty scooters weighing over 40 pounds. Also, ensure the scooter will handle your weight well. Most have specifications for the maximum weight they can handle – in most cases, this is around 250 pounds.
Benefits of Owning a Folding Scooter
Folding scooter redefines fuss-free commuting. Having one folding scooter, you can save your time and money. Some of the benefits of having a folding scooter are listed below.
- LIGHTWEIGHT- Most of the folding scooters are light in weight since they use aerospace-grade aluminum alloy, which is relatively lightweight. This alloy ensures featherweight for the scooter.
- PORTABLE- Folding scooters are quite portable. Having one folding scooter, you can ride on it conveniently, and you can carry it around as well. Since these are lightweight, portable, and compact, you can take them while continuing your foot or any other transportation journey. The compact size of the folding scooter makes it possible to be carried in car trunks as well.
- EASY STORING- Folding scooters are compact enough to be stored and kept under the bed or even on the cupboard. Moreover, they occupy less space.
- FUSS-FREE COMMUTING- By using one folding scooter, you can ride or travel conveniently through traffic jams also. Folding a scooter saves valuable time and money. The mobility and compactness of folding scooters are worth considering.
Advantages of Foldable Electric Scooter
Nowadays, folding electric scooters has become a sensation and phenomenon. People opt for folding scooters over other means of transportation because of their convenience and time-saving abilities. Moreover, the portability and feasibility of folding electric scooters is a feature that entices people a lot. Some of the advantages of the foldable electric scooter are listed below.
- NO TROUBLE WITH PARKING
Having one foldable electric scooter eradicated troubles for parking and searching parking spots. Folding scooters are portable and foldable. These electric scooters can be carried with you and can conveniently unfold whenever there is a need for them.
- SAVES A LOT OF TIME
Indeed traveling with the foldable electric scooter is the cheapest source of commuting available. It eradicates, waiting for buses or trains. You can unfold it whenever you want to start your journey. Being compact, you can avoid traffic jams and can save ample time of yours.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND COMPACT
Folding electric scooters are incredibly light in weight and portable. They are compact, which makes them flexible for carrying around. Moreover, their compact size ensures carrying these scooters even while walking, traveling on a bus, or keeping it in car trunks.
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY
Foldable electric scooters, unlike other transport mediums, are environmentally friendly. Since these scooters proffer electrically powered motors, it emits zero harmful emissions. Moreover, all the materials used in these scooters are BPA-free. However traveling in a car, bus or trains emits massive emission that isn’t friendly for the environment.
Since these folding electrics don’t offer robust performance, they proffer less speed than other enormous powered electric scooters do. Electric folding scooters are incredibly safe. The imminent responsive braking system installed in these scooters ensures and avoids any mishaps.
Folding electric scooters are cheaper than buying other transports like cars, bikes, or any other medium. They provide decent performance at a relatively less expensive cost. Hence, this makes the folding electric scooter a reasonable alternative for costly means of transport.
Folding scooters being convenient and portable is also one of the safest transporting sources. Choosing the right foldable scooter enables you to tack in your scooter underneath the metro or in the office before your next ride. Folding scooter proffers a new way of experiencing convenience and comfort.
Apollo lights and RAZOR – E PRIME III are the best overall scooter, in our opinion. These scooters blend in a powerful combination of portability and robust performance. Moreover, these scooters offer shock absorbers and responsive brakes. The perfect combination of top speed and mileage with the addition of featherweight makes these scooters worth buying.